Control Ultimate Edition -The Review [GU] Krelian

 Game : Control Ultimate Edition

Platform : PC

Launcher : Epic Game Store

Price : RM 34ish (It was on sale Usual price is definitely higher)

My Machine : Ryzen 5 3600,MSI ventus GP edition RTX 2060 Super,  32gb DDR4 3200mhz ram (for you tech spec nerds that jack off to these things).  Playing at 1440p with around 47 - 60 FPS.



The Review

About 2 days ago I decided to take a dive and buy Control Ultimate edition from Epic Games Store. It was cheaper compared to steam and with the sale it's probably not gonna get any cheaper in the foreseeable future. 

Graphics
So there I was, not knowing what to expect from a game that was marketed as having DLSS, RTX and all that other hoopla. I figured it was a good time as any to test out my 2060. From the get go I was blown away (hur hur Blow) by the graphics. Trust me, after being stuck with a gtx 850m for 6 years till recently , I was blown away by the graphical fidelity. Also gave this new DLSS thing a try and I must say it does help in bumping up the graphics quality. I won't pretend to know what's going on with the graphical process that goes on in my GPU.  All I know is RTX & DLSS = PRETTY PICTURES.

Sounds

Sound effects in the game are your standard fare in games to made the game feel more alive. From the explosions, to the sounds of the buttons on the control panels, opening doors etc its all there and pretty good.

Music

When it comes to music, my ears are extra sensitive (probably due to my full time job of DJ) But 2 soundtracks stood out. The first one was Old Gods of Asgad - Take control, this song was blaring out in my earphones while traversing the ever changing landscape while fighting hordes of enemies. Apparently you need the music to focus so you wont get lost in that maze.

The 2nd one was a retro wave sound track and you are in a "car chase" chasing down a haunted Movie camera. The Lights went neon, the sound track kicked in and there you were in the Swift Platform mission speeding down the road chasing the camera.

These are the 2 segments of the game I enjoyed a wee bit too much. The rest of the music are generic action music that lets you know that you are fighting enemies in various random encounters and while it plays it means the enemies are still around.

Gameplay

I played the PC version so I was on mouse and keyboard. And the experience on them wasn't that bad. There were times it felt a bit clunky but that's probably due to my crap old man reflexes more than anything else. Otherwise the controls for Control (har har) feels seamless. From launching projectiles to switching weapons, putting up a barrier all felt good.

The Story

Jesse Faden was being guided by her Supernatural partner Polaris in the over a decade long search for her brother. It lead her to New York and to the Federal Bureau of Control's office The Oldest House ( Kinda like a Magic/supernatural based FBI. Not Unlike Men In Black). I will not ruin it for you. But sufficed to say the game just sucks you in and immerses you with intrigue, supernatural, mystery, suspense and other maddening emotions that make you want more. I practically burned through the main story missions, some side quests and the 2 DLC's in roughly 22hrs 14mins and 47secs. And its one of the few games that made me invoke the "SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK" mantra in recent memory. The other being Titanfall 2.

Verdict

I give this game a 9.8/10. GET IT

Comments

Popular Posts