The Broken Iron Man

 



Imagine this, you waited for a parcel to ship over a highly anticipated figure that you wanted since the 90s and when it finally did, you opened the box, pull the figure out to admire the details and the leg just snapped on you. Yes my friends, this is what happened to me. Meet my Iron Man 2020 figure




So much for an awesome figure. I was sad, angry and frustrated. I messaged the shop but alas to no avail. I stated my sad case to a Marvel Legends collectors group on Facebook. I was desperate, I wanted an answer, an easy fix, anything that would help me get over this pain in my heart over my broken Iron man. I click post on the group, as I continue to be consumed by frustration and anger.

And then that's when I heard it, the distinctive FB notification beep. The response ranged from people saying sorry for what happened to sarcasm, to actual helpful advice. Some of the advice I got was to use screws to replace the broken peg, using neodynium magnets and using a little metal pin to reinforce the broken peg. 

After going through all the possible ways I could fix it, I decided to go with the metal pin method, with a metal pin I got from a junker KO transformer. It involved me taking out the broken mushroom peg from the leg, and drilling a hole into it and also  another hole on the thigh joint that's still connected to the figure. It was a long process, luckily I had the Avengers Anime to keep me company. around I think 3hrs of drilling. This was the end result.





After I drilled the the holes and fitted the metal pin, it was time to put the plastic cement on the 2 halves of the peg. For that job I used 


The key to using plastic cement is patience. I applied this on the joint and after 30 mins, I got impatient and started poking at the peg, it "felt" strong enough to reattach the leg. So I did, 5 seconds later, it broke again ( yeah I know, dumb move). So I added somemore plastic cement lined up the peg again and left it alone and went to bed. 

The next day I went to work bla bla bla, came home and decided to try it again. heated up the leg and popped the peg in. And to my relief, it worked. the thigh joint swiveled as it should and it didn't break again. So now I give you Iron man 2020





So that was definitely an experience. One I am ready for if it ever happens again. But I seriously hope it doesn't happen again. I'll get to reviewing Iron Man 2020 and other legends soon. 


Comments

Popular Posts