Logitech 3D extreme Pro Review

Item : Flight Stick

Platform : PC

Price : RM 160

Release date : 2004





The Review

Lately I've been deep into Space simulators, Elite Dangerous specifically. It's been a little over a month with elite dangerous and for the majority of that month, I've been using a game pad, then that old thing died so I decided to go for an upgrade in controls and immersion. I'm cheap so I will hunt for the best bargain and bang for your buck deals while also drooling and lusting over the higher end stuff. But I decided not to get greedy and just start with this flight stick.



The Design

The 3D extreme pro, despite being a budget flight stick, is actually well built. Solidly built and the plastic doesn't squeak or flex if you grab it, adding to its premium feel. Plus this stick has been on the market since 2004 so this falls into the category of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". So logitech has been chruning this out since 2004 non stop. 

The Base of the stick is also fairly large and heavy, adding to the stability, especially in intense dog fights.




Functions

The 3D extreme pro features 12 programmable buttons that you can customize to fit your play style. So it is entirely up to you to configure it until you find your perfect configuration. It also has the twist to YAW function, which eliminates the need for you to get the Rudder pedals. Unless you want  rudder pedals. The only thing this is lacking is a throttle if you want the full HOTAS (Hands on Throttle and Stick) feel of a full on fighter jet or spaceship. I personally remedied this by using an Xbox controller as my throttle,which actually works pretty fine. So that's an option for you if you want a pseudo HOTAS experience on the cheap.





Performance

On to the important bit of this review. How does it perform? Well I am glad to report for a budget stick, it performs very well. Granted I've only used this stick on Elite Dangerous, so I can only relate my experience on that game. The controls are precise and I had no problems keeping a lock on my targets  and there was no apparent input lag that I noticed. And yes, the precision is indeed better than a gamepad. Granted the will always be "superior" choices out there. But if you just want something that's plug and play without much hassle you can't go wrong here.



Verdict

It's a budget stick, it may have been someone top of the line in 2004 but nowadays there are other options out there. BUT for what it is, you can't go wrong here. It's cheap, its functional and it doesn't feel cheap. Highly recommended for those wanting to dip their toes in Space sims or flight sims. I give it an 8.5/10

Comments

Popular Posts